When choosing a new dog for our family its natural to want to pick a cute puppy, but that means a lot of old doggies get left behind at the shelters and this means senior dogs have higher euthanasia rates than their younger counterparts. When choosing a new dog, think about these reasons why helping an old dog will enhance your life in more ways than one.
- They will treat you like a hero for taking them in
- You CAN teach an old dog new tricks
- They have so much love and compassion to share
- Senior pets are often the last to be adopted from shelters, putting them at increased risk of euthanasia
- Senior dogs learn household rules faster because of their patience and they are good at performing commands.
- They are ideal for households with children because of their low key nature
- They are house trained
- They can bond quicker because they already know how to get along with people
- There is no guesswork about their personalities because what you see is what you get
- They make the most amazing companions
- They won’t chew your shoes because they don’t have any teeth left
- They are great for elderly people because they have less energy and don’t need constant monitoring
So next time you’re at the shelter looking at those big old puppy dog eyes, go on…give the old guy a chance! He will love you even more ❤️